Eaton’s Power Systems Division is currently seeking a Specialist Engineer-Embedded Software Architect to join our team.
Relocation will be provided for the primary office location of Franksville, WI. This position may also be based at one of these alternate Eaton sites: Raleigh, NC, S. Milwaukee, WI, Waukesha, WI, Southfield, MI, Cleveland, OH, or Moon Township, PA. Remote office and telework will be considered.
The Specialist Embedded Software Engineer will be a critical member of the Power Systems Division’s global Controls and Relays Group. The position will lead embedded software efforts for the division’s real-time controls and protective relays. The position will be part of a global multi-disciplined new product engineering team based at Eaton’s Thomas A. Edison Technical Center in Franksville, WI. We are looking for motivated professionals with strong skills in embedded software architecture with excellent cross-domain system engineering and communication skills.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential-and where you can help us reach ours.
In This Function You Will
- Lead embedded software architecture development and high-level design efforts for the embedded system-based products within the Power Systems division
- Lead embedded system platform evaluations and demonstrate an advanced level of product lifecycle thinking such as leveraging software platforms to accelerate time to market and maximize software reuse
- Design and implement features for power system intelligent electronic devices, including power system protection algorithms, system diagnostics/prognostics, communication protocols, cybersecurity, and other relay, control and monitoring functions using C/C++
- Create optimized and right-sized solutions that meet or exceed product requirements with appropriate technical tradeoffs for constrained resources and serve as embedded software expert in the area of specification, design, construction, test, test automation and maintenance
- Guide system interface design activities and lead the resolution of integration issues across multiple engineering disciplines
- Demonstrate leadership level contributions with Linux and/or RTOS based embedded systems as well as coach and mentor other team members with respect to technology, architecture, design principles, coding practices, etc.
- Demonstrate a fluency and awareness of open source software and understand best practices around integrating open source software into commercial products
- Investigate new technologies and contribute to technology road-mapping and capacity planning activities as well as analyze requirements and use-cases
- Select and employ industry leading and best-in-class software development tools to enable scalable cross-geography development
- Participate in DevOps for embedded software delivery by extending Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipelines for one or more software release streams per product family
- Collaborate with product owners, functional managers, systems engineering to distill product/system requirements to firmware designs/stories, developing module & system level code, and unit tests
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we – as individuals and as a company – are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 7 years experience working on embedded systesm or embedded software development
- Must be able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship now and in the future without requiring company sponsorship.
- 5+ years experience using C++
- Demonstrated competency with hardware drivers, embedded applications, networking and related areas primarily using C and C++ as programming languages.
- Demonstrated competency with embedded software development environment and tools for real-time operating systems (RTOS), FreeRTOS, or Embedded Linux
- Demonstrated competency using or designing systems that use network protocols such as Serial, TCP/IP, Ethernet
- Experience leading technical resources
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented Design (OOD) principles using C++
- Strong understanding of real-time operating system (RTOS) concepts
- Model designs using UML or similar methodologies as appropriate; develop use cases to model real-time systems behavior
- Ability to work effectively in an Agile Scrum (or other iterative development) environment
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) and a good familiarity with unit test frameworks (e.g. GoogleTest, GoogleMock, xUnit++, etc.)
- Experience with multi-core embedded systems
- Experience using SDLC management tools in a team environment (e.g. Jira, Git, etc.)
- Knowledge of power systems, switchgear and regulator controls products/applications is an added advantage
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Effectively lead, work and communicate within a global team environment.
- Collaborate with a global multi-discipline engineering teams (software, embedded software, hardware, power systems, systems, product and test) to deliver products and features in the Controls and Relays Group.
- Collaborate with external and internal customers, such as Marketing, Service, Operations and other engineering teams throughout the product development life cycle
- Engage with other embedded software teams to promote reuse, knowledge sharing and further building the software development community within Eaton.
- Promote the importance of software quality attributes, including system efficiency, scalability, maintainability, reliability, and reusability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-starter with the ability to operate effectively with minimal supervision
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton provides a competitive total rewards package commensurate with applicable skills, knowledge, and experience and consistent with internal and external market practices. The annual salary range for this role is $98,400 – $135,300 a year.
At Eaton, we know that good benefit plans are important to employees and their families. In addition to a competitive base salary, Eaton provides various Health and Welfare benefits as well as Retirement benefits. Click here for more detail: Eaton Benefits at a Glance.
North America – US/Puerto Rico
United States-Wisconsin-South Milwaukee, United States-Ohio-Cleveland, United States-Michigan-Southfield, United States-Pennsylvania-Moon Township, United States-North Carolina-Raleigh, United States-Wisconsin-Waukesha
Franksville WI Loc
ESSG PSD Power Systems Division
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?
Does this position offer relocation?
Relocation from within hiring country only
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Requisition ID :093812