The primary responsibility of the Outside Plant Fiber Splicer will be to prep and splice fiber optic cables in outdoor settings, read, create and maintain splicing schematics and diagrams, and maintain control of OSP activities surrounding the assigned project. The candidate will take and maintain accurate splicing and field notes and support project timelines, in addition to performing end to end OTDR tests, reviewing test results for acceptable loss readings, and providing close out packages complete with pictures, formal loss results, and redlined schematic documentation. Other duties and responsibilities may be required and/or assigned.
- Splice fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon cables. Construct a proper splice case. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Read and follow design engineers' instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried and aerial telecom facilities in records, maps and in the field with clarity and detail.
- Perform bi-directional OTDR testing, along with power meter testing, and capture loss to ensure splicing loss budget is adhered to.
- Create complete close out documentation packets for all splice locations.
- Assist with creating MOP's for maintenance window work on live fiber.
- Must have prior experience performing mid-sheath entries (ring cuts), and buffer tube ring cuts.
- Must have prior experience with troubleshooting fiber in an Active and PON environment.
- Must be skilled at working with DWDM and CWDM equipment and testing different wavelengths.
UniTek is a leading full-service provider of permanently outsourced infrastructure services, offering an end-to-end suite of technical services to the wireless and wireline telecommunications, satellite television and broadband cable industries in the United States and Canada.
We are a family of companies that include network engineering and design, construction and project management, comprehensive installation and fulfillment, and wireless telecommunication infrastructure services. UniTek Global Services subsidiaries presently operate in some of the largest metropolitan markets in the United States and Canada including: Texas, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Washington, DC and Toronto, Canada.