This position is full time and includes evening and Saturday hours. Experienced dental assistants apply only. Minimum of 2 years experience preferred.
Position Description Summary:
Responsible for helping dentist with dental procedures and administrative duties. Works closely with dentist during dental procedures. Provides patients with the information needed to properly take care of his or her teeth.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Documents patient communication in their charts.
- Encourages patient referrals.
- Performs chart review for the next day’s patients.
- Coordinates patient treatment; Enters recommended treatment into the computerized system or the chart.
- Sets up treatment rooms for dental and orthodontic patients.
- Collects and records patient health histories.
- Performs a number of dental procedures including but not limited to:
- Handing the dentist the tools needed for the dental procedure
- Ensuring that a patient’s mouth is kept dry by placing and removing suction hoses
- Application of topical anesthetics or medication to gums
- Preparation of materials needed to make dental impressions
- Placement of dental dams
- Dental charting
- Dental x-rays
- Dental photos and scans
- Impressions and bite registrations
- Removal of surgical sutures
- Delivers patient personal oral care instructions.
- Answers patient questions and concerns regarding recommended treatment.
- Performs a variety of lab procedures including pouring impressions, trimming of models, fabricating of mouth guards, temporary crowns, and custom impression trays; prepares casting models and dies; Checks on lab work and checks on overdue lab cases.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the lab including organizing and cleaning the lab sink and developer, and sweeping the floor.
- Performs dental and orthodontic instrument and holder cleaning, sterilization and disinfection.
- Prepares and maintains dental and orthodontic instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Performs treatment room disinfection; empties waste baskets, and cleans treatment chairs.
- Stocks the treatment room and office supply closets with the necessary supplies needed including, bibs, towels, cups, and gloves; Ensures Listerine and soap dispensers are refilled.
- May transcribe the dentist’s notes concerning visits and provided services.
- Serves as the intermediary between patients, the dentists, the hygienist, other dental assistants and the front desk staff. Answers questions and updates the staff about changes in the day’s schedule.
- Ensures the office, lab and treatment rooms are clean and neat and reflects a professional environment.
- Orders supplies and equipment; restocks supplies as needed.
- Makes photocopies and sends faxes.
- Attends and contributes to daily huddle and staff meetings.
- Adheres to office protocol, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains a safe work environment and operates within OSHA/MIOSHA guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School graduate or equivalent
Certificate, diploma or Associate degree in Dental Assisting
One to two years experience in dental assisting
Working knowledge of Dentech software preferred
Ability to properly script key practice scenario’s within six months of employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational abilities
- Ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Ability to accurately utilize electronic dental record and practice management software
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain attention to detail
- An independent worker; ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to maintain a cooperative working relationship with other staff members
- Above average customer service skills; ability to tactfully handle difficult customer service situations; Ability to deal courteously and effectively with a variety of people